Established in 2005, Lock City is an auto locksmith company with decades of experience, specialising in Ford Transit vehicles, and serving Bristol, Bath and surrounding areas.
Ford Transits have been the go-to choice for commercial vehicles in the UK for many years. However, like any vehicle, they can experience issues with their key fobs and remote locking systems. As a seasoned auto locksmith and founder of Lock City, I have encountered numerous Ford Transit models and their respective lock systems. In this article, we will address common Ford Transit key fob and remote lock problems, offering practical advice to get you back on the road.
Ford Transit Models and Their Lock Systems
Ford Transit vehicles come in various models, each with their unique lock systems. Let’s take a look at some of the most common ones:
- Ford Transit Connect: Using a Tibbe lock system, this model features a mechanical key and separate remote fob.
- Ford Transit Custom: Equipped with a high-security lock system, it utilises a flip-out key with an integrated remote.
- Ford Transit MK7: This model uses a Tibbe lock system and a blue remote key fob.
Troubleshooting Common Key Fob Issues
Experiencing problems with your Ford Transit key fob can be incredibly frustrating. Here are some common issues and how to address them:
Dead Key Fob Battery
A dead key fob battery is the most common reason for a non-responsive key fob. To replace the battery:
- Gently pry open the key fob case with a flathead screwdriver.
- Replace the old battery with a new CR2032 (3V) battery.
- Snap the key fob case back together.
Re-syncing the Key Fob
If your Ford Transit key fob is not responding after replacing the battery, you may need to re-sync it. Follow these steps:
- Insert the key into the ignition.
- Turn the key from position 0 to position II (but not to position III) four times within six seconds.
- Turn the key back to position 0.
- Press any button on the remote key fob. The doors should lock and unlock to confirm successful re-syncing.
Damaged Key Fob
If your key fob is physically damaged or has broken buttons, you may need to replace it. You can find a reliable Bristol Transit locksmith to assist you with this.
Troubleshooting Remote Lock Issues
If your Ford Transit’s remote locking system is malfunctioning, it could be due to one of the following problems:
A blown fuse can cause the remote locking system to fail. Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual to locate the relevant fuse and replace it if necessary.
Faulty Door Actuator
If your remote locking system is not working on one or more doors, the issue could be a faulty door actuator. You may need a professional locksmith to diagnose and repair this issue.
Damaged or broken wiring can cause your remote locking system to malfunction. Inspect the wiring in the door for signs of damage and consult a professional if required.
Troubleshooting Ford Transit key fob and remote lock issues can be frustrating, but with the right knowledge, you can address these problems and get back on the road. If you require professional assistance, Lock City is here to help. You can find us on Facebook or Yell for more information about our services.